Graduate Medical
Education Inc.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA):

Leave may be granted for the following reasons under FMLA:

  1. The birth of your child if the leave is completed within twelve (12) months of the date of birth of the child;
  2. The placement for adoption or foster care of a child with you if the leave is completed within 12 months of the date of placement of the child;
  3. To care for an Eligible Family Member if that individual has a Serious Health Condition;
  4. For your own Serious Health Condition that renders you unable to perform the essential functions of your job;
  5. Qualifying Exigency Leave – this leave is taken because of a Qualifying Exigency arising out of the fact that a Military Member in your family is on Covered Active Duty Status (or has been notified of an impending call or order to such covered Active Duty) in the Armed Forces; or
  6. Military Caregiver Leave – this leave is taken because a Covered Servicemember in your family has a Serious 

          Illness or Injury and needs your care.


Paid Leave will be considered for employees that have a Serious Health Condition, including the birth of your child, while under a doctor’s care. Please see the GMEI Policy and Procedure on Family and Medical Leave Act at: FMLA paperwork should be completed with the GMEI staff. Vacation time cannot be forfeited to meet training requirements. Leave may require extension of the training program.

Page under construction

For US Citizens

You can apply for a social security number by applying in person to your local Social Security Administration office. The application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) can be found here.  The local office locator can be found here.  Please note that certain documents are required with the application.

If you are a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non driver identity card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have these specific documents or cannot get a replacement for them within 10 days, the Social Security Administration Office will ask to see other documents, including:

  • Employee ID card;
  • School ID card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
  • U.S. military ID card; or
  • Adoption decree.

For Non US Citizens


If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must prove your identity and work authorized immigration status.  The Social Security Administration must see your current U.S. immigration documents and your unexpired foreign passport.  The application for a Socal Security Card can be found here.  The local office locator can be found here.  Acceptable documents from the Department of Homeland Security include your:

  • Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa);
  • I-94 arrival/departure record showing DHS work authorizations
  • Work permit card (I-766) employment authorization card.

Please note that all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. They also cannot accept a receipt that shows you have applied for these documents.