Graduate Medical
Education Inc.

For US Citizens

You can apply for a social security number by applying in person to your local Social Security Administration office. The application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) can be found here.  The local office locator can be found here.  Please note that certain documents are required with the application.

If you are a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non driver identity card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have these specific documents or cannot get a replacement for them within 10 days, the Social Security Administration Office will ask to see other documents, including:

  • Employee ID card;
  • School ID card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
  • U.S. military ID card; or
  • Adoption decree.

For Non US Citizens


If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must prove your identity and work authorized immigration status.  The Social Security Administration must see your current U.S. immigration documents and your unexpired foreign passport.  The application for a Socal Security Card can be found here.  The local office locator can be found here.  Acceptable documents from the Department of Homeland Security include your:

  • Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa);
  • I-94 arrival/departure record showing DHS work authorizations
  • Work permit card (I-766) employment authorization card.

Please note that all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. They also cannot accept a receipt that shows you have applied for these documents.